1) The name of the Association shall be the “Friern Barnet and Whetstone Residents’ Association”.
2) The Association shall be non-sectarian and non-party political.
3) The objects of the Association shall be:
To study the questions of local and municipal importance and the action of Public and Statutory Bodies and thereby to create and foster interest in Local Government.
To act as a medium of communication between the residents and the various authorities, exercising jurisdiction on all matters of interest to them.
To promote and protect the interests of the residents.
To use its influence, as far as possible, to the establishment of equitable assessment of property.
To call meetings, appoint deputations, co-operate with any other body and make such representations to the authorities as may be considered necessary to promote the interests of the residents.
4) Residents in the former Urban District of Friern Barnet, or in such other area as the Executive Committee may from time to time determine,* or persons whose names appear in the local register of electors of that District, or (as the case may be) other area,* on subscribing to the funds of the Association, in accordance with Rule 5, shall become members and on application shall be supplied with a copy of the Rules of the Association.
Note- * highlighted text: changes adopted at the AGM held on 10 May 2018
5) The annual subscription shall be as determined by the Annual General Meeting and may include husband and wife. Subscriptions shall be payable when membership is taken up and in each year thereafter. The membership year will run from 1st January until 31st December. Membership may cease at any time without pro rata subscriptions being returned.
Officers of the Association
6) The Officers of the Association, all Honorary, shall be the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer, all of whom shall be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting when the vacancies on the Executive Committee shall be filled.
7) The Officers of the Association shall be ex officio members of all Sub-Committees elected by the Executive Committee.
8) A Special General Meeting of the Association shall be convened by the Secretary upon the instructions of the Executive Committee or within six weeks of the receipt of a requisition to that effect, in writing signed by not less than 5% of the membership of the Association. At least fourteen days notice in writing of each such Special General Meeting shall be given to every member. Such notice to state the object of the meeting, at which no other business shall be transacted
9) When the purpose of convening a Special General Meeting is to alter the Rules and Constitution, a maximum period of three months may elapse between receipt of requisition by the Secretary and the date of the meeting.
10) No member or officer of the Council of the London Borough of Barnet shall be eligible to serve as an active member of the Executive Committee thereof.
11) The Association shall hold Public Meetings as and when the Executive Committee shall determine.
12) No new rule shall be made or existing rule amended or rescinded, except by a resolution passed by a two-thirds majority of members present and voting at an Annual General Meeting, or a Special General Meeting convened for that purpose. Any member intending to propose any alteration to these rules at an Annual General Meeting shall give notice in writing to the Secretary not less than two calendar months prior to the date of the Annual General Meeting setting out the alteration to be proposed. Any requisition for a special General Meeting, to be called for the purpose of a proposed alteration to these rules shall specify such alteration.
13) The notice convening a General Meeting at which an alteration to these rules is to be moved shall specify the proposed alteration, addition and / or deletion. For the purpose of this rule the word “alteration” shall include alteration, addition and / or deletion.
14) The Executive Committee shall be empowered to decide on all matters not provided for in these rules.
15) The Independent Examiner who is not an Officer or member of the Executive Committee shall be appointed annually at the Annual General Meeting
16) A president may benominated at any AGM or Special General meeting. He or she does not have to be re-nominated annually, nor does the position constitute an additional officer.
Management of the Association
17) The management of the Association shall be vested in an Executive Committee, which shall comprise the Officers of the Association and not more than ten elected members. Election shall be for a period of two years. Retiring members being eligible for re-election.
18) The Executive Committee shall have power to fill, until the next Annual General Meeting, any vacancy in its membership which may occur during the year. Meeting of the Executive Committee shall be held each month, unless varied by a majority wish of the Executive Committee. At any meeting, five shall form a quorum.
19) Any member of the Executive Committee failing to attend three consecutive meetings, without a reasonable excuse, shall cease to be a member of the Executive Committee.
20) The Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer shall constitute a Standing Committee with power to act in case of emergency.
21) All receipts of the Association shall be handed to the Treasurer who shall bank the same in the name of the “Friern Barnet and Whetstone Residents’ Association. Payments in excess of ten pounds shall be made by cheque. Such cheques to be signed by two nominated officials of the Association, one of whom shall be the Treasurer.
Meetings of the Association
22) The Annual General Meeting of the Association shall be held not later than the 30th April each year on such date as the Executive Committee shall decide. At least 14 days notice, in writing, of such meeting shall be given to every member. A report of the work done during the past year shall be presented at the Annual General Meeting together with the audited accounts for that period.